Managing a Daycare vs. Being a Teacher Aide | ICS Canada
A Leader in Career-focused Online Learning
Call Today! 888.427.2400
A Leader in Career-focused Online Learning

Student Life Blog - Tips & Guidance for ICS Canada Students

Managing a Daycare vs. Being a Teacher Aide

Posted by ICS Canada

daycare manager vs teacher aide

Interested in working in the childcare and education field but not sure what specific position you should pursue? With so many different and interesting options, it can be difficult and sometimes overwhelming to narrow down your choices. Take a look at the similarities and differences of being a teacher aide versus working in child daycare management below to help you begin to map out your future in education!

What a teacher aide does vs. what a child daycare manager does
A career in child daycare management means a lot of open opportunities at a variety of locations. Often, those who study this particular subject/field end up opening their own daycare centers or having a home daycare business.* A Daycare Manager will not only work with the children, but also with the parents, setting up schedules as well as covering payment and insurance information. You may also be responsible for more of the business side of a facility than teaching or playing with the children in your care. A Teacher Aide, on the other hand, is going to spend the majority of their workday with children in their classroom. As a Teacher Aide, you’d support the teachers you’re assigned to and work more closely with children who may need additional help, as well as supervising activities and playtime.

Where do they work?
Daycare Managers have several options for where to work. You’re able to hold a position at corporate and private child care centers, summer camps, or even open your own at home or center-based daycare. Teacher Aides, however, don’t generally start their own business or do work at home. As a Teacher Aide, you’ll work at a local school or community center. Teacher Aides do also work in daycare centers, but more often will work for public or private schools with older children.

How to become a teacher aide or daycare manager
Though you may work with a different age group as a Daycare Manager versus a Teacher Aide, the education required to become one can be very similar. Neither career requires a four year degree. Earning a career diploma will get your foot in the door! This doesn’t necessarily have to be at a local brick and mortar college. Accredited online programs can teach you everything you need to know to become a Teacher Aide or give you the tools to help you learn how to manage a daycare center.** Depending on your province laws, you’ll also need to become certified and have certain background checks before being hired at a school.

Whether you want to manage a center that cares for young children while their parents are at work or if you want to work directly with older children in a small classroom setting, you need to have a few qualities in common. Those who pursue either becoming a Teacher Aide or Manager of a Daycare are compassionate, sociable, and creative individuals. If this sounds like you and you’re interested in learning how to shape the future, research some online education courses to really decide which is the right next step for you!

* Prospective students should note that completion of this course does not qualify him/her as an Early Childhood Educator (E.C.E.). Students are advised to check with their provincial governments for E.C.E. recognized equivalents. If you are interested in continuing your education after graduation to become a Director or Teacher in a large day care facility, you must take additional training as specified by The Community Care Facility Act/Child Care Regulations of British Columbia and The Community Child Day Care Standards Act and Manitoba Regulation 62/86.

**The ICS Canada Teacher Aide program does not include a practicum component, and may not lead to certification in your province. Please check with your province and local agencies regarding certification requirements. This is particularly important for residents of British Columbia and Prince Edward Island.

Search Our Blog Posts



Invalid Search Term. Please try again!